Eagle's Cry

Juniors prepare for ACT Test

As first semester comes to an end, the junior class’ stress and prep for the upcoming ACT’s begin.
Roughly 45 juniors will be talking the ACT’s April 19. With limited time left students prepare to take the stressful test that will determine where they can go after high school and what they can do, as doing well on the ACT’s can help students get scholarships for college.
Junior Maggie Schmaltz isn’t overly stressed about the upcoming ACT’s. “I feel like the ACT’s are just a test to see how you measure up to everybody else. Because it’s the one test people from all these different schools are all taking, so you see how you compare,” Schmaltz said. She hopes she can get a 30 or above. Schmaltz has been preparing by taking practice tests online and working in an ACT practice book she has at home.
The school offers a variety of different ways students can prepare themselves for the ACT’s. “Pearson has a test online that the school subscribes to for all students to practice,” counselor Mrs. Knutson said. Along with the online test the school offers informational sessions, and students take the “Plan Test” which is a practice ACT test. “I think all students do better when they know what the test looks like instead of going in blind,” Knutson said.
Teachers are also doing their part to help students. English teachers Ms. Spohn and Ms. Ward have been teaching students vocab which could possible show up on the English portion of the test.
While Schmaltz isn’t too worried about her ACT’s junior Sarah Wirz feels very stressed when it comes to her test. “Everyone wants to know your score, and that’s where you stand,” Wirz said. Wirz also has a book to help her prepare for her test and will be taking some online tests as well. “Knowing what you need to work on helps,” Wirz said. She hopes to get around a 30 or above.
The average score in our area and statewide is anywhere between a 21 and 23. Although colleges don’t just look at students score (they also look at different clubs or organizations that students are involved in), typically colleges want students who are in that 21-23 range. Scholarships are usually given out to student that receive a 24 or higher.