Eagle's Cry

Filed under Vibe

Anxiety: When does it become too much?

Everyone gets nervous throughout their lifetime. Feeling anxious is our body’s response to feeling vulnerable, but when does it become too much?

Anxiety is a mental health disorder distinguished by feelings of worry, or fear that are intense enough to interfere with someone’s daily activities. It causes excessive uneasiness, typically causing panic attacks. Some symptoms of anxiety are nausea, trembling, poor concentration, restlessness, and racing thoughts. Many people have anxiety without even realizing what it is.

Jada Jesberg illustrates the emotions anxiety can produce.

There are many things to help minimize anxiety. EV-W school counselor Mrs. Knutson says, ”A cast fixes everyone’s broken arm, but it’s different with mental illnesses. You have to find what works for you. You can learn to use coping skills, set realistic goals, find a support system, and try to talk to parents.” Although there is an assortment of things to minimize anxiety it will always be there.

“Find friends to talk to as much as you can, or talk to a counselor,” junior, Hailee Dyre advises. Studies have shown that it also helps to exercise, have a healthy diet, and try to manage stress.

As time goes on it usually means progress, but with anxiety that’s not the case. In the last 50-70 years anxiety levels have been rising. Anxiety and depression were way lower throughout the Cold War, WW2, and the Great Depression. It’s been proven that an average high school student today has about the same level of anxiety as the average psychiatric patient the early 1950’s according to the American Psychological Association.

Find friends to talk to as much as you can, or talk to a counselor”

— Hailee Dyre

Most people have been changing their intrinsic goals, dealing with one’s personal growth and finding meaning, to extrinsic goals, worldly goals (status or fame.) Media platforms have created “unrealistic goals” for all age groups causing anxiety trying to live up to such big standards.

Mrs. Knutson says,”Kids need to understand that anxiety is real. Panic attacks are scary things, and people should realize others aren’t faking it. Everyone should know that they aren’t alone!”